[Shotimes] Steering wheel/column possible electrical problems

shojun@mtrs.org shojun@mtrs.org
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:22:25 -0400 (EDT)

>>The multifunction switch may be the high beam problem. Cost about $30
>> and is in the way of the clock spring R&R. Some people clean the
>> contacts, but I'd just replace it.
>

> On that note, if you are going to replace the multifunction switch, get
> one  from a low mileage 1999 in a junkyard. I put one in from a GenIII
>    SLO  and it's perfect, the feel is better than the older ones, IMO.
> Popped right  into my 1993, easy fix, I assume it would be OK for
> earlier models as well.
>
> --Kevin

One quick note here is that it won't work for all generations-- my 89 has
a different connector that 1990 Taurii.  When my multifunction stalk went
out on my a year or two ago, I bought one from a 90 off a SHOTimer-- the
electrical connectors didn't match up.  I eventually went
junkyard-searching and I checked a couple 90/91 Taurii, but they didn't
match.  Found an 88 Taurus in the junkyard with stalk that had matching
connectors.  It popped right without problem.

One thing to note when I swapped stalks is that if ever I had my fog
lights on for an extended period of time, I'd get a slight burning smeel
in the car-- the source of that was a cracked/melted/burned connector to
the multifunction stalk-- I ripped that connector out of the junkyard car
as well, and no problems with my foglamps since then either.

Regards,
    -Arjun
    89 SHO
    95 Sebring