[Shotimes] '90 SHO produces no torque.

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:53:26 -0400

Off the top of my head, it sounds like there may be a vacuum leak to the
secondaries, which would leave the secondary valves open all the time.

The way they work is that they default to Open, then when you start the
engine, vacuum closes them until the PCM signals he drop in vacuum so they
open ay 4K.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Matthew Haggard
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 6:00 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] '90 SHO produces no torque.

Hey,

I'm having an interesting problem, interesting being defined as anything
upleasant, once it's over.  I have a 90 SHO,well technically 2, but the
physically ugly one runs perfectly.  The "pretty" one's check engine light
comes on.  Code reader says that it's the EGR partly open.  I've replaced
the valve, no good.  I'm about to take off the manifold and clean it out,
but problem seems to be more extreme than egr problems could acount for.  In
a nutshell, no power.  Nada, zilch, zip.  It idles ok, but snapping the
throttle results in it slowly revving up, followed by nearly dying as it
dips to a couple hundred rpm, then recovering.  It doesn't make enough power
to make it up my driveway.  Maybe a 4% slope.  It doesn't have any trouble
starting really, except that it doesn't rev up like the other one when it's
cold, but I've seen tricycles with more torque and I'm talking the kid
powered kind.  I've replaced the O2 sensors, justifying it as routine
maintenance to myself.  I've c!
hecked the act sensor and swapped MAF with the other sho, clearing the Keep
Alive Memory each time.  In each drivability test, usually a :30 minute
loop, it runs ok on level ground albeit gutless, but I have to get the truck
to tow it up the hill to my house.  Aftermarket engine parts are a SHO
Shoppe Y-pipe and cat-back system and a K&N Air filter.  If anyone has any
ideas at all where to go from here, I'll be eternally grateful and all the
hair I've pulled out in frustration might actually grow back.

Matthew Haggard
mthaggard@earthlink.net
There is a certain satisfaction in feeling that you are bearing, with heroic
resignation, the irritating folly of others.
-Jerome K. Jerome
"Passing of the Third Floor Back"