[Shotimes] Wheel/rotor/hub is running hot (Long, but easy to read!)

Koper Jim jkoper@frankgates.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:08:51 -0500

My SHO is exhibiting poor acceleration and gas mileage. There seems to be
drag on the whole drive train. MPG is now 19, down from 23. While there are
standard items wed normally check (plugs, wires, secondaries, etc), I am
experiencing something with the left front wheel. After traveling 15-20
miles at highway speeds, the LF rotor/hub assembly is noticeably hotter than
the other three wheels. The inner pad (PFs) has a whitish glaze on it, not
on the contact portion but on the surface that faces up toward the wheel
well.

Sticky caliper seems like a logical culprit-but the caliper replaced in
July, before the convention
.
Brake lines were bled, though they are spongier than I would like. Air
wouldnt cause any dragging problems, would it?

The caliper pins seemed fine-no rust, no wear. Ive relubed and reassembled
everything, yet the problem persists.

I do have a few questions:

We all know of that the rear brake flex lines can sometimes collapse and
cause a sticky rear caliper. Does anyone know if this can happen to the
front flex lines? All four flex lines were replaced two years ago.

The brake booster seems fine (pedal returns all of the way up).

Whats the chance of a defective caliper out of the box (Wagner reman)?

Could this be an issue with the wheel bearing itself? Its original, but I
hear no parking-lot-speed-while-turning-the-wheel noises that a bad one
would normally exhibit. The hub seems hot too (could be heat transfer from
the rotor).

The only other noticeable item: the spindle itself has indentations on the
surface where the nibs of the brake pads contact the spindle in the front,
as though the in-and-out motion of the caliper was restricted. Would
replacing the spindle (and wheel bearing while Im at it) help resolve this
dragging problem?

I am concerned of boiling the wheel bearing grease and/or brake fluid if I
continue to drive it . I appreciate any insights, solutions, or BTDT
stories!

Thanks

Jim Koper
1992