[Shotimes] LSD Conversion KIT for the SHO? Any comments?

Mike Kopstain SHOtimes@midwestsho.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:22:38 -0600

> Also, I am mystified by your comment about V6 rod bearings
> and V8 Cam lobes.  the V6 rod bearings can fail, but usually
> after 200,000 miles, and that is a good long life, and
> better than most motors.  The rod bearings are not an area
> of major concern for SHO V6 owners.

I would have to agree with Carl here.  The differential pin problem, while
it is the most common problem for the MTX, is not all that common.  The rod
bearings on the other hand, are becoming an epidemic.  Who knows, maybe it's
age.  I remember the first publicized case about 2.5 years ago about a kid
that just bought a 93' ATX with IIRC 110,000 on it and it spun a bearing two
weeks later.  I have cars documented as low as 85,000 miles spinning
bearings.  My bet would be that if you take down a 100,000 mile motor right
now the bearings would be showing copper.

Bruce Malachuk drove to the convention and home with a spun rod bearing.  I
beleive his car has less than 100,000 miles.  I would place my bets on rod
bearing failure over differential failure any day.

My .02

~ Mike

Midwest SHO - For Everything SHO
www.midwestsho.com
Sales@Midwestsho.com

Advance Motorsports - For everything else
www.advancemotor.com
Support@advancemotor.com