[Shotimes] LSD Conversion KIT for the SHO? Any comments?

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:07:50 -0600

Neno,

Good to hear from you again!

One of the first things we learned about the diff failures
from the reports I got through this list and through the
club/conventions is that abuse and burnouts are not always
the cause of failure.  We have had several diff failures on
cars that the owner, since new, claims has never spun a tire
(hard to believe, but I knew some of these people, and they
drove enthusiastically, but did baby their cars a lot and
didn't race).  These cars got perfect maintenance and still
the diff took out the transmission.

Certainly burnouts, slippage in snow/ice, hard racing all
takes its toll, and there have been notable failures on
these cars too.  There appears to be no real pattern for
this type of failure, and it happens to both MTX and ATX SHOs.

Has anyone heard of similar failures with other FWD cars
like the GP or Neon or the Nissan FWD cars without posi?

I still feel that if you are going to race a lot, a Quaife
is good insurance, along with feeling great on the track.
(again, not so much for drag racing as for road racing and
autocross, my own car didn't seem to get any faster at the
drags after installation of the quaife.  There is only so
much traction available for FWD cars, and an open diff can
quite often apply power to both tires if you have good start
line manners).

The manufacturer of the diffs had no clue (maybe they were
just denying something they might not want to be responsible
for?).  The pins seem to shear, and my best guess is that
the spider gears tend to gall on the shaft and shear off the
pin.  Others have said they think the pins work their way
out.  Same result either way.

One possible cure is to replace the soft steel roll pin with
a bolt that is threaded on and loctited.  This is a rather
expensive proposition requiring a good machine shop.  and
you still have an open differential.  For my money, the
Quaife is still nice insurance.

Don Mallinson