[Shotimes] LSD Conversion KIT for the SHO? Any comments?

Neno Albert neno@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:02:47 -0800 (PST)

WARNING: LONG! Replies posted inbetween quotes below...
ALSO: midwestsho does have $1,095.99 Quaifes, which i stated below but... for those who wont read
the rest! :) (thanks to Mikey)

> > Has anyone heard of similar failures with other FWD cars
> > like the GP or Neon or the Nissan FWD cars without posi?
>
> Don,
>
> GTP's like to do the same thing, typically not until you're pushing 350+
> ft/lbs of torque though, and even at that, it typically happens when you are
> drag racing, due to the car having 80% of it's torque at 1000rpm. :-)  The
> nice thing however is that the differential usually only grenades itself and
> just scars the inside of the house and it is replaceable in about 1.5 hours.
> The real problem is the input shafts, don't get me started on the input
> shafts. :-)

Doesn't the GP GTP ATX have the seperate housing cover for the diff? I Remember seeing something
similar to such a thing on a friends GTP that was getting a Quaife I believe.

In regards to the ATX diffs, I think the only thing that prevents them from deteriorating in the
trans as quickly (or easily) as a MTX is the lack of that direct input of power, which kind of
dampens the impact... Also, the ATXs have a much harder time spinning the wheels, stock, whereas
the dump-crazed MTX drivers have their way with any RPM range. I've also heard quite a bit of
ATX's that are SC'd or sprayed with very successful trannies... I'm not implying anything other
then the diff's by this, however. :) All that, with no diff work seems amazing to my
understanding, as my 3.2 in the MTX seems to make my diff seem like a hardcore one wheel'd peg
leggin freakazoid even at 30mph. :-\

> Neno... You are a very articulate, inteligent person for your age... I never
> would have thought that after that post once upon a time. :-)

We all have those times in our lives where we ramble off just because we're too sick and tired of
anything that moves.. lol.. i'll let you figure that out (i really dunno what the hell that means!
Brad's quote from long ago...)

Hey Don! How are you doing? Hoping to make the convention this year, AGAIN.. lol..

> > One of the first things we learned about the diff failures
> > from the reports I got through this list and through the
> > club/conventions is that abuse and burnouts are not always
> > the cause of failure.  We have had several diff failures on
> > cars that the owner, since new, claims has never spun a tire
> > (hard to believe, but I knew some of these people, and they
> > drove enthusiastically, but did baby their cars a lot and
> > didn't race).  These cars got perfect maintenance and still
> > the diff took out the transmission.

I've also heard and seen the diff failures due to plain old wear. But, yes... It's incredible to
imagine how much one can put their open OEM diff through (Ron Porter was also very hard on his
'89(?) without ever gernading, correct?)

> > Has anyone heard of similar failures with other FWD cars
> > like the GP or Neon or the Nissan FWD cars without posi?

Don, I'm sure they do!  However, doesn't the SHO use the 4 pin setup? Talk about floating in
hell.. lol! RWD or FWD, a weak, open diff is a weak open diff.. problem is, not all trannies are
mutilated by the aftermath of a broken weak open diff.. :-\

> > I still feel that if you are going to race a lot, a Quaife
> > is good insurance, along with feeling great on the track.
> > (again, not so much for drag racing as for road racing and
> > autocross, my own car didn't seem to get any faster at the
> > drags after installation of the quaife.  There is only so
> > much traction available for FWD cars, and an open diff can
> > quite often apply power to both tires if you have good start
> > line manners).

You see, I completely understand where you're coming from with this, but my personal view on the
SHO at the track has absolutely nothing to do with a quaife as much as it is clutch technique..
Problem is, I don't have enough money to slip the clutch just right and leave the track with my
clothes on AND a running car!! lol... Amen, though! The Quaife is the mother of heaven sent MTX
tranny parts.. too bad there aren't any others! (minus sho nuts ceramic TOB)

> > One possible cure is to replace the soft steel roll pin with
> > a bolt that is threaded on and loctited.  This is a rather
> > expensive proposition requiring a good machine shop.  and
> > you still have an open differential.  For my money, the
> > Quaife is still nice insurance.

You see, I think we need to investigate this for those who don't have a immense income but do
drive their SHO rather hard. The kicker to the Quaife isn't even the $1200 price tag, which
reminds me that Mikey's currently got Quaifes listed for $1k~ ($1,095.99) However, this requires
refreshening the trans and what not, definitely not something I'd want to worry about if my car
was a daily driver and just wanted to stick to preventative maintenance rather then a $2k+ project
for a freshened trans, diff, clutch, and installed! Which would probably be a good time for the
rear main seal, oil pan gasket seal, shit fork, suspension parts, steering parts, subframe
bushings, motor mounts, and a trans mount.. Anything forgotten? Sure, how about a friggin rack &
pinion while it's apart? My point? a very intimidating decision for a daily driven car that is
just there for just that. However, is it fair for their diffs to go south with no cure just
because they dont have $2k+ to spend? Not very. We need to figure out a way to help the entire
community.