[Shotimes] BRAKE PROBLEMS (sorta long, but an easy read!)

Jim Koper jkoper@frankgates.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:56:22 -0500

Hello all,

I have a 92 SHO with 141,000 miles, several BRAKE-RELATED ISSUES.

FRONTS: both are dragging. I already replaced the flex hoses and calipers
about 1.5 to 2 years ago (Wagner rebuilts). Why do they go bad (stick) so
soon? Any remedies I am missing? I bleed the brakes every year in
preparation for the convention, so old brake fluid would not be a factor in
the 'return' of the brakes. MPG and performance are obviously down--hate
running the car like this, as the engine is working much harder than it
needs to. I cleaned and regreased the fronts, but it didn't make a
noticeable difference.

If the pins have even wear marks (a series of shinier rings around the pin),
do they need replacing or just cleaned and lubed?

REARS: After about a year of NOT using the e-brake, I applied it last week.
(I know the e-brake adjusts the rear pads as they wear, but I didn't want it
freezing up in the winter.) Big mistake. I smelled burnt pads within a few
miles.  I pulled the wheels to check it out.

Applying and then 'releasing' the e-brake causes the RR caliper to 'lock up'
(the return spring on the caliper doesn't return caliper to the 'e-brake
off' position. I use a pry bar to return the lever to its natural position.
Sound familiar?

The LR e-brake cable does pull the caliper lever--however, I can still spin
the rotor freely!! How would THAT happen? The pads and rotor seem to be
wearing, so the hydraulic portion of this work OK.

BTW, I replaced BOTH rear cables 3 years ago. Moisture seems to get in at
(1) the end near the caliper and (2) where that clear plastic sheathing
surrounds the coiled cable (middle of the entire cable, near the rear
control arms).

Any way to recondition the e-brake cables? They are not that old! I've tried
PB blaster, a bit of heat, silicone spray, lithium grease on the cables.

Have any of you found the front release cable (connects to the interior
release handle) to be faulty?

Are the return springs on the rear calipers too weak/bad design and has
anyone modified them? It seems if they were of a higher tension that they
could keep the e-brake cable functional.

What do you guys and ladies do to fix such problems (or better yet, prevent
them from happening in the first place?

Is the only real solution to replace all four calipers? The rears were
replaced 3.5 years ago (new pins and boots last year).

Would replacing the MASTER CYLINDER solve the fronts dragging? Anyone BTDT?

I am fed up with having to look at something on this car every other
weekend!! I'd like to DRIVE the car for a change!!
No, I won't trade it for anything else--yet.

Thanks for your input.

Jim Koper
92 red/black