[Shotimes] 96 SHO Brakes

Barry Hayes Barry@kingcon.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:06:44 -0400

OK, time for foolish questions. I had been considering this upgrade for
my 95mtx. I thouht I had it figured out but this thread has raised some
questions.
As I understood it from the showtimes FAQ  all you need do is take the
rotors and caliper brackets from a 96 SHO and transplant them. The
caliper, pads, etc all remain the same.
The questions I now find are: Do I need to change pads? I am currently
using carbon metalics from Advance which are lifetime guaranteed and
seem to work well. I would put new pads in with the new rotors but
should I use the same part # as for the 95 or change to the 96 part #?
Also, Do I need to get the parts from a 96 SHO or can I use any 96 or
later Taurus? I see cars with 24ohv badges that are not SHOs, do they
have the right brakes? It seems from the thread that any Taurus after
2000 has the right donor parts. If I don't need SHO specicif parts then
the boneyards can be a less expensive source than the dealer.
Finaly, what about the rears? Do they remain the same, and or do I need
to change any proportioning brake valves? I drive mostly highway and
this is my work car, not a racer.
Thanks
Barry Hayes

--
"It's all in the mind ya know"- George Harrison