[Shotimes] 96 SHO Brakes

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:44:05 -0400

Barry;
 This upgrade can easily be done for $1-300 or maybe less.

> As I understood it from the showtimes FAQ  all you need do is take the
> rotors and caliper brackets from a 96 SHO and transplant them.

Don't ask for any SHO parts, they don't seem to be in many books correctly,
and are to hard to find. Ask for the 95+ Lincoln Continental parts- easier
to find in boneyards - need the caliper mounting brackets mainly, they are
specific to the 11.6 in rotors. May as well get caliper too, since they
probably won't sell you one without the other. The calipers are the same but
the mounting brackets are not. You could just buy new Ford caliper "pin
kits" but I belive they would cost you more than the boneyard calipers.
Measure your caliper mounting brackets before you go and make sure the new
ones are about 1/4 in bigger. In your case, your existing knuckles work. I'd
recommend new rotors though, same Lincoln parts, unless you get lucky and
find some primo looking boneyard ones.

> The caliper, pads, etc all remain the same.

(Hot debate item) The somewhat smaller 94 pads will work (601 code backing
plate) Although the 96 style is about 1/4 inch wider (598 backing plate
code) and will also work and "may" give you some extra performance. IMO you
won't be able to tell the difference on the street.

> The questions I now find are: Do I need to change pads? I am currently
> using carbon metalics from Advance which are lifetime guaranteed and
> seem to work well.

Any Carbon metallic should give you decent performance. Stick with them. But
absolutely have the old boneyard rotors recut or use new ones.

> I would put new pads in with the new rotors but
> should I use the same part # as for the 95 or change to the 96 part #?
> Also, Do I need to get the parts from a 96 SHO or can I use any 96 or
> later Taurus? I see cars with 24ohv badges that are not SHOs, do they
> have the right brakes? It seems from the thread that any Taurus after
> 2000 has the right donor parts. If I don't need SHO specicif parts then
> the boneyards can be a less expensive source than the dealer.

I have heard that the 2001+ Tauri now have the 11.6 in brakes. Just ask for
the Lincoln parts and let the recycling interchange guys handle the rest.

> Finaly, what about the rears? Do they remain the same,

Yes

> and or do I need
> to change any proportioning brake valves?

No