[Shotimes] 96 SHO Brakes

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:48:43 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Leigh,  I understood the point about using the Z-rated pads since those
weren't available in the 598 size.  The point being that pad compound can
have a major effect on braking ability.

But, if you're going to do the upgrade and weren't planning to use the
larger pad size, then why bother at all?  The upgrade as a whole does pay
a weight penalty and presumably one for larger rotational mass that the
drivetrain has to overcome.  Is the idea that with the larger rotor,
applying the clamping force further out in diameter will produce the same
stopping effect?  I guess that must be it.
Still if I were to go to trouble of the upgrade, I'd still want to be able
to use the 598 pad if I so chose.

Barry, you asked about the rear brakes.
1)  Make sure the slider pins haven't seized up on the calipers.  This is
a very common problem.
2)  You have the option to upgrade to PFCM pads.  I recommend doing that.
3)  If you actually want to USE your rear brakes and have working ABS, I
recommend using the plugs.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo