[Shotimes] Overheating / Fan issues

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:07:49 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Doug,  It should be obvious if the fan comes on or not.  With the car hot
and idling, pop the hood and just watch and listen what happens.  The
engine will get to a point where it will be hot enough to cause the fan to
come on.  You will be able to see and hear this happen.

Another way to make the fan go on is to turn on the AC.

There is another thing to think about, and that is if the fan is not going
on with the AC off, it doesn't necessarily mean it's broke.  If the t-stat
is stuck closed, you will get the high temperature reading, but because
the coolant isn't flowing through the radiator, you won't get the fan to
come on and get the temperature control you need.  You might be able to
tell that to some extent by putting your hand close to the radiator hose.

Then, if you actually notice the fan working but the car is running hot,
flush/replace the coolant as your next step.  The hot weather exposes a
lot of problems that aren't normally seen when it's cold outside.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo