[Shotimes] Chip Help

Steve Tatro Steve Tatro <stevetatro_shotimes@earthlink.net>
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:59:31 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

As someone already stated, the first upgrade you want is the D4U1 computer.  The H3Z program was apparently such a piece of crap that it lasted one whole model year in the SHO, then they revised it and were happy enough to use it for the final two years of the V6 ATX.

I have a Ted B. LPM in my '93 ATX (with the D4U1).  He won't even program one for the H3Z series computers; he'll tell you the same thing I am about upgrading the computer first.  I think he still sells them for $200 programmed, which includes free lifetime reprograms (you pay the shipping both ways, obviously).

I tried a Superchip in my '93 ATX for about a week.  I was testing it for another list member who thought it may be causing their car troubles.  It didn't wreak any havoc on me, but man did the car slam into certain gears.  Especially the 1-2 shift; I thought the tranny was going to fall out.  Luckily I have a good rebuild with shift kit, etc. to stand up to some abuse.  I would not feel comfortable putting my tranny through that on a permanent basis.  We all know the sloppy factory 1-2 shift is bad, and a quick firm shift is good, but the Superchip just takes it too far, IMO.

Get the D4U1 and you'll know it's an upgrade immediately.  I was able to feel the shifting improvements immediately.  The LPM just made it that much better!

Good luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: ROBERT SCHIRMER <1surferbum@msn.com>
Sent: Jun 13, 2004 12:43 PM
To: TaurusSHO <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shotimes] Chip Help

Guys

I am thinking about getting a chip for my '93 ATX. The only other upgrade I
have made is a 80 mm Pro-m MAF.

Any recommendations on chip manufacturer, or about getting one where you can
do the programming yourself on a hand held  programmer, versus sending one
back to the manufacturer all the time. Would the chip have to be reprogrammed
if the exhaust system gets upgraded in the future?? Approximate costs??

Thanks
Bob