MP3 Formats....was: RE: [Shotimes] Premium sound (getting OT)

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:08:16 -0700

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:05:00 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time), Carl Prochilo wrote:

>A song encoded in 256 bit MP3 format is about 25% the size of the original
>CD file.  In my experience, this just fine for a car application.

Naaaah....this isn't really OT....we need good tunes for driving our SHOs across the
country, right?  Don't want anyone to get bored coming out to see us here in Kally!

I finally (!) made my first MP3 CD a couple of weeks ago.  Lowrider can't play them,
but the wagon has (and the black car will have) CD decks that can play MP3s.  I
asked around and was told that anything above 160 bit was 'satisfactory' for car
audio.  I made the first CD in 192 bit, and it sounds just fine in the wagon, which
doesn't have power amps yet.  When power and dynamic range improve, things might be
different.  I was able to put 6 wave file CDs on one MP3 CD.....133 songs, with
about 8 minutes left over.

I'm about to upgrade to CD Creator 7, which will let me make WMA CDs.  That format
is supposed to be even better than MP3.

Both those Tauri will have 50 CD changers when their systems are finished, so MP3
CDs aren't mandatory, but the GS only has a 6 disc changer.  I'm going to add (down
the road) an MP3 CD changer by JVC (at this point, anyway) to it, so I'll have a
decent collection for trips.  It also needs speakers in the package tray, and a
better sub system.....the 'basic' sound system in that car sort of stops existing
behind the rear doors.  No WONDER music in it sorta disappears at speed.

George