[Shotimes] Would you buy an MT-5 for cheap?

Tom Teixeira tjteixeira@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:09:41 -0400

I had bought an MT-5 new in late 1987. The engine certainly wasn't a
SHO engine, but neither was my car "rough riding, rattly and cheap
looking". I did get the 212A option package, essentially what was
offered on the 89 SHO, but without alloy wheels. The car lasted
150,000 miles until succumbing to rust in the rear seat area.
Certainly the four cylinder engine wore more than a six and it needed
more downshifting with age. But it was quite reliable: it never
caught fire. Had to replace the computer once, and it had one vacuum
plug that tended to fall off and make the engine run poorly.

If George Fourchy's museum has the space, it would be cool to have an
MT-5 next to a SHO.

I will say that after driving the MT-5, my 94 MTX seemed especially zippy.

--
Tom Teixeira		mailto:tjteixeira@earthlink.net
Blue 94 5-speed 127K	http://world.std.com/~tjt