[Shotimes] Pontiac unveils SHO successor?

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:57:17 -0500

Just saw on Autoweek.com that Pontiac has a new GXP version
of the Grand Prix with the Chevy 5.3L OHV V8 driving the
front wheels.

At least I assume it is the Chevy.  Same size and specs as
my wife's pickup, with probably a little cam tweaking for
higher rpm hp?

290 hp and 325 lbft of torque.

Still FWD though.

Even with the all aluminum V8, it promises to be 60-40 or
worse weight distribution, but that hasn't been revealed, at
least in Autoweek.  Predicted weight is 3600 pounds.

Dual piston 12+" front brakes slotted and cross drilled for
the ricer crowd.

Some real torque and HP without a power adder should make
this a handful everywhere, but maybe fun.

too bad they didn't just do RWD and one-up the competition.

Hey my wife's pickup is a fine auto with the 5.3 V8 (cast
iron block in the truck) but when it comes to music, I will
still take either of my V6 SHO's or the fine sounding '96 ES
SHO V8, especially on the track.

Don Mallinson