[Shotimes] Pontiac unveils SHO successor?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:54:14 -0400

Hope they at least put in an LSD. It will be an ATX-only, I'm sure.

Acura has been taking hits from the car mags about the 270 HP, even with an
LSD, in FWD. Some funky handling issues under power, and they felt the car
should be something other than FWD.

WRT to the GXP. The must have the same ad agency as the Gen 3 SHO. You just
don't hear anything about the car. Of course, with the road test results, it
isn't much to write home about. Not much better-running than the s/c 3800 it
used to have.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 11:57 PM
To: v8sho@v8sho.com; Shotimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Pontiac unveils SHO successor?

Just saw on Autoweek.com that Pontiac has a new GXP version
of the Grand Prix with the Chevy 5.3L OHV V8 driving the
front wheels.

At least I assume it is the Chevy.  Same size and specs as
my wife's pickup, with probably a little cam tweaking for
higher rpm hp?

290 hp and 325 lbft of torque.

Still FWD though.

Even with the all aluminum V8, it promises to be 60-40 or
worse weight distribution, but that hasn't been revealed, at
least in Autoweek.  Predicted weight is 3600 pounds.

Dual piston 12+" front brakes slotted and cross drilled for
the ricer crowd.

Some real torque and HP without a power adder should make
this a handful everywhere, but maybe fun.

too bad they didn't just do RWD and one-up the competition.

Hey my wife's pickup is a fine auto with the 5.3 V8 (cast
iron block in the truck) but when it comes to music, I will
still take either of my V6 SHO's or the fine sounding '96 ES
SHO V8, especially on the track.

Don Mallinson