[Shotimes] Re: California Crackdown on Modified Cars

Bob bob@hotpursuit.net
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:15:23 -0700

Before getting the 89, I drove my 86 Mustang to work every day (94 ATX
broken).  I was pulled over in July by a county sheriff.  He said "I think
you know what I pulled you over for."  I said, "uh-huh."  Actually, the only
thing that I could think of was that I had accelerated too quickly from the
stop light, but it seemed to be the least combative response.

It was normal acceleration for me, but there's 355 ft/lbs at the rear
wheels, so maybe it looked fast to him.  I was going 45 in a 45, so it
couldn't have been my speed.  I start in 2nd gear and shift straight to 4th.
The car has stock mufflers.  After doing a records check he came back over
and said something aout being careful because of drunks and it being July
4th weekend, "you may be a great driver, but be careful out there."  That
was too much, so I said, "I'm not a great driver".  To which he replied,
"really?", and I said, "only average, Randy Pobst is a great driver."
Perhaps an odd response from me, but I'm not one to accept undeserved
compliments.  He didn't say anything about the well worn Kumho V700's, 14pt
cage, 5-points, gutted interior, extinguisher, or the gauges saftey wired
through the dash.

That was a month ago.  I doubt I'll have any trouble in the SHO once I get
the tint off.

	-- Bob