[Shotimes] Re: California Crackdown on Modified Cars

bjshov8 bjshov8@comcast.net
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:58:44 -0500

I've been thinking about a similar thing for awhile now.  I have experienced
lots of different tires on my SHO's and earlier cars, and I selected most of
them based on performance.  I've noticed a very large difference in
traction, both wet and dry.  So if there is a big difference in traction
capability between different performance tires, how much difference can
there be between good performance tires and the cheapest tires available
from wally-world, costco or similar?  So while I have tires on my SHO that I
know from experience will stop the car or allow me to maintain control of
the car even in adverse conditions, the car beside me or behind me might be
running on the cheapest p.o.s. tires they could find.  When I see stories on
the TV news about someone who claimed they "lost control" of their car and
killed a few people, I wonder were they on good tires, or round black things
that somebody told them were tires.

I was hanging out in a garage recently and noticed a small pickup in there
with brand new tires on it.  Reading the sidewalls I noticed that they said
"trailer use only".  I don't know what characteristics are designed into or
out of trailer tires, but if they don't want them used otherwise then maybe
there is a problem with using them on cars.  I'm guessing that running
trailer tires on your pickup is more dangerous to the public than a few
cosmetic modifications to your Mitsubishi.

If the government wants to intrude in peoples' lives then I think rather
than be concerned about cosmetic stuff, maybe they should tighten the
restrictions on tires.  This could really do some good.