[Shotimes] Help with engine stumble in 95 MTX

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:40:11 -0700

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:11:18 -0400, Ron Porter wrote:

>but if the timing belt was
>incorrectly installed with too much advance, would the car run?

Valves opening too soon would be a LOT more noticeable than opening too late, but
Lowrider ran (not great, but it made the daily commute at speed) with its cams
retarded 22 degrees, back during the "discovering crank cancer" era, in 1999.

I ran the camshaft in the Boss 302 4 degrees advanced during its last period of
usage, and it got better mileage, had more engine vacuum (has a column mounted
gauge), and had lots more low end torque.

I'd say it would be worth a try.  I've heard of intake cams being advanced by
themselves (Zach?) and it didn't help much....maybe they all need to be set the
same.

George