[Shotimes] Help with engine stumble in 95 MTX

bjshov8 bjshov8@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:43:40 -0500

Well sometimes they don't torque the bolt on the harmonic balancer properly.
And sometimes the harmonic balancer works loose a little.  And sometimes the
lower cam gear vibrates a little against the key in the crankshaft.  And
sometimes the groove in the gear wears a little.  And sometimes the timing
is retarded significantly.  And sometimes this happens to someone in
California and they christen it "crank cancer".  So this is the best place
to start...

Remove or loosen the upper timing belt cover so you can see the belt.
Rotate the crank slightly each direction and watch the timing belt.  If the
timing belt does not move in perfect synchronization with the crankshaft, if
there is any bit of hesitation one way or the other, you may have crank
cancer.  This retards the cam and ignition timing and really kills the
power.