[Shotimes] Fuel Pump Electronics Question

Robert A. Pittman, Jr. rob.pittman@verizon.net
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:22:02 -0500

The other day my 90MTX (126K) started to overheat.  I pulled over and
checked before it got just scorching hot.  When I raised the hood, I was hit
with that fried electronics smell and some smoke from the front of the
engine bay.  After some a bit of checking, I noticed the fan was locked up,
so there was the cause of the overheat.  Let it cool for a while, and
started to drive it back home.  After 3-4 miles without any A/C, I was
overheating but the car was running about in the middle of the range.  It
died.  I was able to restart and continued for another mile, then it died
again and wouldn't restart.  My first guess was that the short in the fan
knocked out the IRCM.

I've replaced the fan assembly and the IRCM.  Still no start.  It seems to
that the car is not getting fuel.  There's no pressure at the Schraeder
valve on the intake rails.  All the fuses in the fuse box look OK.  The
inertia switch on the fuel system is still depressed.  When I turn on the
key, there's no noise like the fuel pump spinning up.

Is there a fusible link I need to check before concluding the fuel pump was
knocked out and replacing that?

Thanks for y'all's help.
Rob
90MTX, 126K