[Shotimes] 95 ATX Alternator problems

Hartberger, Jason M. AT2 (AW) hartbejm@cvn71.navy.mil
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:32:04 -0500

DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE DIODE.
Seriously, it's not the voltage rectifier. The light staying on 'til
1800rpm is a dead giveaway. Tell him to replace the diode bridge. Your
VR is fine.

V/R
AT2(AW) Hartberger, Jason M.
DX Production Supervisor
USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71
AIMD/IM-3/Shops 8&10

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 11:45 PM
To: `V6 SHOtimes
Cc: TechSHO@topica.com
Subject: [Shotimes] 95 ATX Alternator problems

I'm at a loss to figure what to do with this alt. , with only 60K
miles.I've
had it repaired 3 times, and the guy tells me he has changed the VR each
time.
But when the car starts, the light comes on, and won't go off until it
hits
1800rpm, and after a month or so it comes on permanently.  He gave me a
2 year
warranty on the repair, but I think he's not going to touch it any more.
Looking at Rockauto, there are 2 VRs listed, one at $143 and the other
at $87.
Are they both the same, and it seems a little high when I can get a
rebuilt
for around $150.  What is the real story on these things?  Also the
diodes
aren't shown on Rockauto; are they available, or do they ever go out?
Looking
for a little help here.
Mike