[Shotimes] CV halfshaft replacement

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:46:13 -0700

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:23:14 -0500, kickinsho wrote:

>Am
>having some difficulty getting the lower ball joint out of the hub assembly.
>For some reason, I can't seem to get the control arm to go low enough to
>clear. Any suggestions or hints?

Hi Andy..

Darn circumstances preventing me from doing that video!!!

The arm is automatically forced up, making disassembly hard, by the tension from the
inner bushing attaching the arm to the subframe.  You can allow the arm to drop by
loosening that bolt back there.  I think it's 15 and 16 mm, the nut and the bolt.
It's been a while since I've been in there...I need to do a few axles, too.  If you
do take that inner bushing loose, make sure you tighten it up with the arm level to
the ground, not fully extended downward like it is when jacked up, or you will tear
the rubber inside it when you go over bumps.

The knuckle is heavy, and definitely hard to lift when the car is on jackstands.
Take the caliper off..it adds surprising weight.  If it were higher in the air, you
could use more leg force on it.  I take a big flat bladed screwdriver and wedge in
there to force the arm down away from the knuckle.  If I had one in front of me, I'd
tell you exactly where to wedge the screwdriver, but it should be easy to see where
to put it when you look close.  You have the bolt out, right?

Hope this helps.

George