[Shotimes] RE: P/S Pump Whine?

Beisler Jonathon Jonathon.Beisler@HCAhealthcare.com
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:58:51 -0400

My power steering pump failed at about 120,000 miles, probably a bit less on
my 94 ATX.  But on mine, it was a screeching whine because the bearing failed.
As far as I could tell, there's nothing to the pump other than an impeller?  I
can't imagine anything going except the bearing in that impeller?  I just
replaced mine.  The pump is the same for the 3 and 3.2 liter SHO's just don't
let them tell you the other 3.0 is the same because it's obviously not.
Amazingly, the job's not that hard except for the stupid nut that is on the
back of the pump near the block.  I had to lay under the car with two large
breaker bars to get enough torque to pop that damned nut.  And then there was
a lot of cursing and ranting about the hi-pressure line nut attaching to the
pump.  If you don't count the painful hours of blood sweat and tears getting
those two nuts out, it's literally a 30 minute job once the car is jacked up
and tire's off.  Good luck.
JB

Message: 2
From: "Kevin & Cheryl Airth" <clubairth@peoplepc.com>
To: "`V6 SHOtimes" <SHOtimes@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:01:00 -0500
Subject: [Shotimes] P/S Pump Whine?

SHO Experts:
 My 180K mile ATX SHO has now developed a gear whine that I have traced to
the P/S pump. I have not heard people wearing out a pump? Will the 3.0 L.
unit fit or just the 3.2 ? I have been flushing the pump and found a TSB
that talked about pulling a vacuum on the reservoir to remove the entrained
air bubbles which is the cause of the whine? I plan on doing this before
replacing the pump, which looks like a hard to do job!!
 Anyone have a pump for sale?
Thanks!
.
.