[Shotimes] Tire Width

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:04:31 -0400

Short version: The 215 fits the stock rim better, but is still not ideal.
The rims are too narrow.
BFG has great technical info on their site. The basic data applies to all
tires.
Height: A 215/60 is 26.1 tall and a 225/55 25.8 - close enough.
Ditto for weight capacity.
Recommended rim range is very important: 215 needs 6.0-7.5 and 225 needs 6-8
Measuring rim width gives you an indication of what the tire would "like"
best and that is 6.5 for the 215 and 7.0 for the 225. As others have said,
even the ford rims are a little small for the 215 and too small for the 225.
The 225 tires will wear out prematurely below the recommended rim width
range. Since that tire really wants a 7-8 in rim, it is compromised on a 6.
You gain almost nothing except looks. The top of the tire tread (by the rim)
"tips-in" more and lifts the outside tread edges, so you gain almost no
additional traction. And the tip-in doesn't look great either.
For maximum handling you want a rim width as wide as possible for that tire:
7.5 in for the 215 and 8.0 in for the 225.
I'll guarantee you that if you go to a rim that is one inch wider, and
re-use the same tire, you will feel that your tires just got wider. Your
steering response will improve. It will feel like someone removed one inch
of free play out of the steering wheel in the middle, just before the car
starts to turn. The same analogy would apply when going from the 225 to the
215 on the same rim.
Lee
Ex-BFG employee