[Shotimes] sho problems

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:40:27 -0500

CV joint sounds correct,  I have not seen one go to total destruction,
but I understand how it could happen.  Best bet is to figure out what
side it is coming from, and then replace it.  If the boot got torn
somewhere along the line, all the grease will get spun out of the
joint and ti will run dry and chew itself up.

Autozone sells rebuilt ones for about $60, with a $60 core.  bothe
sides are pretty easy to do, but do require that you seperate the
lower control arm from the spindel to get the axle out.  If you plan
on doing it yourself, we can get you some more detailed instructions.
A DIY job for a first timer might take 1-1.5 hours per side if you are
working slowly and carefully.  A trained mechanic should be able to do
it under 30 minutes.  If you take it to a shop, likely the least they
will charge you is 1 hour of labor to install.