[Shotimes] GEN II AC ... Can it Handle the Heat?

Bill Strobel theamcguy@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:01:26 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:06:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Peter Maggiacomo <gtsrider@yahoo.com>
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] GEN II  AC ... Can it Handle the
Heat?

Just got my 95MTX back with all new AC, and it's back
in the shop. Why?  Customer (me) dissatisfaction.
It just does'nt seem cold enough, but maybe it's me
and this KILLER heat wave across the country.
It's always hot in the summer in Florida, but this
summer is a scortcher! If anyone out there has a GenII
AC system they feel is running tops, how does it
handle this mid 90's - triple digets heat? Thanks.
-Pete
Sweating In My Sho In Tampa

They can handle the heat.  I have a 1992 134
conversion old compressor 39 degrees out the vents on
a hot NC day.  It was blowing cold in Atlanta over the
weekend (100+)right from a start-up.  I also played
around with it to get it to do that.  I did the
conversion and like you said it does not seem cold
from the git go.  The trick is to adjust the low
pressure switch.  Most techs do not want to do this as
it adds time to the job and really is not supposed to
be done.  The switch is supposed to be set out of the
box.  If you get it back and it still does not work
right then you can adjust it with nothing more
complicated than $1.99 A/C Thermometer the kind you
stick in the vent.  Looks like a pencil.  First drive
a few miles with the therm in the center vent A/C on
max blower on high.  Note the temp.  Come back keep
the car running disconnect the electrical connector
from the low pressure switch in the bottom is a small
screw turn it 1/8 turn CCW reconnect the switch and
repeat your drive over the same route and note the
temp.  If it is less repeat another 1/8 turn CCW until
you get to around 39-40 degrees.  Thats it.  Hope this
helps.

Bill Strobel
Independent Towing
Fayetteville NC