[Shotimes] moving battery to trunk

Paul Nimz pnimz@v8sho.com
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:28:14 -0500

As I understand the rules are a metal box with external venting and an
external engine kill switch are what is required by NHRA rules for any battery
in the trunk.

But last year when I went to an high class track and the hot rod car in front
of me had the required set up and it was tested in the tech inspection line to
see if the kill switch did indeed kill the motor, they never even looked twice
at my Taurus.......  Probably wonder what the hell I was doing there in the
first place.  :)

Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Zach Leahy
  To: Donald Mallinson
  Cc: Aaron Lowe ; shotimes@autox.team.net
  Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [Shotimes] moving battery to trunk

  4:  If you run a double core radiator it gives you some place to put
  an overflow.

  Question:  I need to move mine before the convention (for which I
  still need to register).  There are some nice kits that strap down tha
  battery and some that use a box.  I will be using an Optima either
  way, and I understand the box is required for certain racing
  applications.

  Can anyone tell me in what application a box is requred vs a strapped
  in battery?  Is it only NHRA?  i really don't think it matters either
  way with a gel sealed battery?  I know there are kits available both
  ways, and would prefer the cheaper boxless design if it's allowed.

  Zach