[Shotimes] OT: 2005 F1 Season

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:01:43 -0500

Yeah, and it may not be the case in th US where banging nascar is the
big craze, but pretty much everywhere else, at least in Europe, F1
gets the biggest draw of any racing and has the biggest following.  I
think it is quite nice because while restricted in some
charachteristics, the race series does allow people to take advantage
of technologiy.  It seems if I hear right thogh that this may be
limited in the future.

I am not a fan of nascar because of the high restrictions placed on
technology.  They have to run a carb for pete's sake.  no advanced
computer controlled fuel management system... nope, a carb with
technology from the dawn of engines.

To me the best racing is in Endurance racing.  I love catching the 12
hours of Sebring or the 24 hours of somewhere.  That's a great test of
a machine over a test of a driver.  I guess as an engineer that
thrills me more than a good ol' boys bumping and grinding, or F1 guys
screaming little motors (they are cool though)..  Where else can you
see a guy don a pair of gian oven mtts and change the brakes on a car
during a pistop.  How fun.

I don't really watch a lot of racing.  I'm more of a do-er than a
watch-er.  I would rather flog my car, than watch someone else flog
theirs....  Kinda like me and motorcycle shows...  I'll go out and
dis-assemble and re-assemble mine rather than watch Paul and Paul do
it.

I think most racing has it's draws.  F1 is just ludicrously fast.
that's all there is to it.  really really fast.  WRC is about the
unexpected next turn, powersliding, dirt, rolling a car...  Great fun
in it's own right.  Endurance, it's a a test of machine.  Nascar,
about being a good ol' boy with a 350, a carb, and "bumping each
other".  eh, I'll just go out and work on my car... I'll put it on in
the background for some noise...