[Shotimes] RE: Re: Alternator

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:27:33 -0500

>Carl;
Since your description mentions a "lurching" sensation, I would investigate
to see what caused the belt to tear. Could have been some object jammed in
there (you should see evidence) or more likely a bearing on some component
died.
Make sure the altenator and any other bearing on the same belt spin freely!!
..
At 200k mi, why don't you unbolt the altenator and have you or a rebuild
shop put in $10 worth of brushes? They can't & won't last much longer! I
strongly recommend keeping your unit, unless the rotor/stator is trashed.
You'll be miles ahead keeping your known good core unit (with new brushes)
than buying a "rebuilt" unit from AZ with unknown core quality.
Lee

 But now the problem turns out to be the alternator belt has come off.  I