[Shotimes] My brake lights seem to have a short, where should I looik first

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:28:23 -0500

> From: Vladimir <volodya84@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2005/03/23 Wed PM 06:58:54 EST
> To: SHOTimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>
> Subject: [Shotimes] My brake lights seem to have a short, where should I looik
>  first
>
> For the past couple of months, I have noticed that my
> brake lights do not come on most of the time.  There
> was one time for like two days they worked fine, but
> most of the time they only sometimes blink on for a
> second when I press the pedal.  Please help me, guys.

   It's probably not a fuse, as it sometimes works, right?
   The very first thing to check would be the brake light switch.  There are two switches on the pedal arm itself, one for the lights and one for cruise control cancel.  I believe the brake light switch is black plastic, and the plunger part is threaded for adjustment.  The first thing to check would be that both switches have wires running to them, and that the brake switch has power running to one of the prongs.  If not, you're not getting good power to the switch.  If so, make sure that both of them are working.  Unplug each sensor, then use a multimeter to verify the switch has continuity when the pedal is pressed.
   Assuming the switch is okay, the next big item in line is the multi-function switch in the steering column, which is a bit of a pain to get to.  The harness probably didn't work loose there, as there are some beefy clips holding the connectors on, but the switch itself could be bad.  Leave that for later.
   Next, check the flasher module.  I know, it's weird, but the SHO actually uses the flashers to interrupt the brake signal into the multi-function switch.  So, make sure the flashers work well.  (this is actually where those of us first gen guys can cut in to interrupt the flashing brake lights so we can switch over to cool amber turns, but that's another story)
   If the flashers are okay, check the harness plugs and wires in the trunk, behind the carpeted trim behind the lights.  Make sure the wires aren't pinched or cut, and that the bulbs are seated in the plugs.  If so, then it's back to the multi-function switch.  Pulling the switch required a few screwdrivers, including a Torx, and if it's your first time you should probably follow the manual.  The manual also has a nice wiring diagram, so you can use your handy-dandy multimeter to check the circuits the brake lights use.
   If it's not any of these, then it's time to trace the power to the brake switch, and from there through all connectors.
   Good luck.

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)