[Shotimes] 4 Way Flashers

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:11:39 -0600

Pete:
 The switch can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned. Have you looked at
this from the FAQ?
http://tinyurl.com/4fxoc

 I have found this to work in varying degree's. Sometimes it fixes everything
just fine but other times you only get a partial fix and might have to take it
apart again. It's not hard but the pieces are small and fragile. I too lose
the lettering from the sun and the black plastic starts to turn gray and faded
from age
.
.
.

> > From: Peter Maggiacomo <gtsrider@yahoo.com>
>
> > Are the 4 way flashers part on
> > the mulit-function circut? Thanks.
> > -Pete
>
>    The four way flashers are indeed part of the multifunction switch.  The
flasher module flashes two inputs to the multifunction switch, one for left
and one for right.  Left directional closes one circuit, right the other, and
the flasher both.  Unfortunately, it sounds like the contacts under the
flasher button itself are bad, as the right directional works with and without
the four-ways on.
>    The switch isn't too bad to replace, but it does involve pulling the
steering wheel (airbags for everyone except us '89 guys) as well as the column
covers.  I don't believe the switch comes apart easily, so I don't think you
can clean the contacts.  On the plus side, the switch encompasses the high
beam selection, wipers, directionals, etc., so you get a new switch with new
lettering.  For some reason, I tend to lose the lettering on that stalk.  AZ
sun perhaps.