[Shotimes] Valve Clearance

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:38:00 -0600

Jim,

Clearances open up as the top of the valve stem wears.  I also wonder if
the underside of the bucket wears some too?   Valves usually don't
recess much anymore with hardened valve seats and higher quality metal
in the valves themselves.  Also as you check the clearance with the
original shim, the shim itself can wear some.   I haven't tried it but
if you flip the shim over, the clearance should tighten up just a little
as the underside won't have the wear that the top side had.

I understand you can flip them over.

Don Mallinson