[Shotimes] IRCM Help

Hildeen, Ron F ronald.hildeen@ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:45:54 -0600

Greetings all

After lurking on this list for several years I finally have a question
for the group.

Sometime around Mothers day my SHO wouldn't start.  It was determined to
be the IRCM relay pack.  Being a tad on the cheap side I was told that
an interim solution could be to whack the thing with a hammer,
encouraging it to work again.  Over the next 6 months or so the thing
needed whacking about 4 to 5 times.  Worked like a charm - just a little
unsettling to onlookers as I opened the hood with my hammer in hand and
began hitting something under the hood.

However, a week ago Monday, all the whacking in the world didn't make it
run again.

The car started fine but quickly died, never to run again.  No fuel pump
noise at all, also seems like the 4 way flashers are not working either
- coincidence (?).

I bought a replacement unit from Al Fitz (thanks Al) and installed it.
No change, no start.

My questions are -

Is there any way to test these things?

Are there any other things that could cause the same problem (it is not
the relay in the trunk - I checked that)?  The installation looked
simple; just plug and play (?) - did I miss something that would
complicate installation?

I really enjoy this car (93 ATX, green and (sob) rust with 150+K.  The
wife keeps on advising (?) me endlessly that we need a more economical
and reasonable car (read boring) but I keep hoping nothing really
expensive breaks.

Any advice etc on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron Hildeen, Mpls