[Shotimes] Window Puzzle

Jim & Debbie Leyden jndleyden@comcast.net
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 04:13:39 -0400

OK, the motor has only two terminals.  Apply a positive voltage to one and a
negative voltage to the other and the window should at least TRY to move.
Reverse the wires and it should move in the opposite direction.  If the
window used to work from the rear switch but not the master then you have a
bad master switch.  I replace them but others have dismantled them and
cleaned them.  The reason that you can see voltage at the terminals when you
operate either switch is simply because the contacts are dirty and will pass
small amounts of current.  When you try to open the window it draws much
more current and will not operate through the dirty contacts.  I am willing
to bet that if you were able to plug in the motor and check the voltage at
the terminals you would not see meter move, unplug the motor and you would
see it move again.  BTW, an analog volt meter is not very helpful when
checking a reversing polarity circuit unless you reverse the voltmeter leads
when you switch polarity.  Otherwise all you see is the needle bounce down
and hit the peg, but you cannot see how many volts there are.  A Digital
Voltmeter will show you a +/- sign to tell you the polarity.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Techpriest
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:59 PM
To: ShoTimes (E-mail)
Subject: [Shotimes] Window Puzzle

Thanks for the sender help.  If the weather stays nice I plan to look into
that this week.

Gorgeous here in the land of "no Advance Auto stores" so I had all the
windows down and sunroof open.  My drivers rear would not go back up.  Ever
since I bought the car the drivers switch would put it down, but not up.  I
just reached back and put it up with rear button.  Tonight, neither button
would work.  Grabbed my multi-meter and got my wife to help push buttons.

Unhooked motor and pluged meter into harness instead.  Hit up on either
button and needle moves to 12+.  Hit down on either button and needle jumps
other direction, to I assume 12-.  Oddly, both switches seem to work fine.
I did not notice the front switch sending less juice then the back when
pressed up.

I plugged the motor back in and shoved my leads into the harness so I could
measure voltage still.  Hit up with either button, nothing.  Hit down,
nothing.  Needle did not move at all, and neither did motor.

Unplug motor and try again, both buttons work same as above, perfectly.

Plug back in and hit front button up, nothing.  Hit rear up and window
moves, needle jumps to 12+.  Hit front up again, nothing.  Hit down on
either and window goes down, needle goes to 12-.  Not sure what changed but
now I am back to front working down, and back working up and down.  If front
switch is not bad as I assumed, what is the problem?

When my windows get all the way up, or all the way down, something tells
them to stop.  I am thinking this "stopper" is getting confused.  Any advice
on getting it straightened out?

Sorry I am asking so many questions, yet providing so few answers.  Not only
am I not up on SHOs, I am not much of a mechanic.  Took a few automotive
classes in college so I understand the concepts, but don't have much hands
on.  I am a computer tech professionally, and have been for the past 10
years.  I have a year of tech school and a college degree in computers, plus
my A+ and Network+ certifications.  Need help with your Windows based PC,
computer network, or the like and contact me off-list.  If I can help I
gladly will.

89 MTX SHO "TEKPRST"