[Shotimes] Towing with an ATX?

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:48:28 -0700

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:35:29 -0700, Alan Fanning wrote:

>I figure the all-up weight of the lathe and a lightweight utility trailer
>might be 1000-1200 lbs. Assuming I added an auxiliary cooler (and new
>radiator) to our '95 ATX, is this a practical solution or am I asking for a
>blown transmission en-route?

I towed a 6 x 8 covered U-Haul trailer to Reno and back with the Slorider wagon last
fall.  We had to take some furniture and a mattress up there, and the wagon was the
only logical choice...the truck gets 10 mpg on the flat, and it is 175 miles one way
from here.  Before going, I had the tranny serviced locally, with a total oil change
and internal inspection.  It was fine..no signs of wear or deteriorating bands or
clutches (I was pleased...121K miles on the factory overhaul), according to AAMCO,
which I trust (at least this one), and then made the plunge.  I shifted it manually
in the mountains, when it wanted to change gears, so that the engine did not lug,
and kept my speed down to about 55 mph.  It made the trip fine, with not a hiccup.
Mileage was decent, too...about 15 mpg.  I wouldn't try that trip with that car in
the summer without a 2 row radiator, which it will get, but hasn't yet.

I think you could do it, as long as you kept an eye on the temp, and kept the revs
in a comfortable range...2.5k to about 3.5k.  Don't be in a hurry over the hills,
and watch the temp.   That much added load isn't that hard on the tranny as long as
it is not too hot. An auxiliary cooler should solve any heating problems.  Put all
new oil in it before you leave (not just the 4 quarts of a superficial service).

George