[Shotimes] Rod Bearing Change @190K miles

Jim & Debbie Leyden jndleyden@comcast.net
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:44:03 -0500

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:07 AM
To: bjshov8
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Rod Bearing Change @190K miles

At least that guy was making about 300lb ft of torque at 1500 rpm!

I sold a generation 1 Mazda RX7 to the secretary in my insurance agents
office.  When she took it for a test drive, she handled the clutch OK,
but shifted to high gear at about 25 mph and in a rotary that is
horrible!  I cautioned her that this engine needs rpm, and never to
drive around below 1500-2000 rpm.  That is pretty safe with most engines.

Understand that the definition of lugging is about FIVE HUNDRED rpm!

Well, I kept seeing her drive around town with the thing popping and
banging at 25 mph in high gear, again about 500 or so rpm at big
throttle openings.  I called her a couple times warning her that rotary
experts say she is going to ruin the engine, and sure enough within 2
months she calls asking me to help her get a new engine.  I did better.
I found an enthusiast to buy the car and he put in a used engine.  This
was about 15 years ago and he is still racing that car!

Don Mallinson