[Shotimes] AC Compressor/AC System question

clubairth@bellsouth.net clubairth@bellsouth.net
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:07:57 -0600

Eric:
 You can DIY but I think you need a better understanding of the system
before you dive in! If the clutch was making noise maybe this is your
problem? Much cheaper and easier than the compressor!
  You need to hook up gauges first to see what the pressures are. This is
MANDATORY. With out the gauge set your shooting in the dark. Get the
compressor from E-bay-much cheaper. I use a cheap compressed air powered
vacuum pump that is only about $16. Harbor Freight carries them.
 Next if the system actually failed internally you need to see you suffered
"Black Death" or not! This is when the compressor comes apart internally and
spreads metal,rubber and other debris all through the A/C system. Usually
plugs the orifice tube and other things. If this is your failure you need to
consider: Replace everything in the system or do a partial repair and wait
for it to fail again. It is very difficult to properly flush the system
after this type of failure. I always do a flush anyway to help the system
work better. You can borrow a flush gun from AutoZone and you can purchase
the flush chemicals at any parts store. Try to save the flushed fluid to
inspect it for metal and other debris. If you really cheap, here is a good
tip: Use cheap lacquer thinner as your flushing agent. Keep all the new A/C
parts capped until just before they are installed. Pull a vacuum and then
let it sit all night and pull it again. You simply can not evacuate a system
too much. You will get a better job than the commercial shops if you take
your time.

 Finally, you need a factory shop manual. You need to put the CORRECT amount
of oil and refrigerant in the system.

 What year is your car?

 Do you want to convert to 134A while your at it?
.
.