[Shotimes] Got it--now how about a different bolt?...was: Re: [Shotimes] Help...I have a stuck damper bolt...

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:53:06 -0800

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:14:31 -0800 (PST), G Kerby Haltom wrote:

>1" hole saw will cut the flange off and leave the  hex head.

That's good to know for the next time....I got it after using the impact a
while.....Zach was right--it didn't have enough power in itself to get it loose, but
it must have helped a bit, because after putting the starter back in and trying it
again with the regular socket and ratchet, I split the socket
(Craftsman..warrented).  That didn't help the bolt head any, but my trusty deepwell
impact with the ratchet got it the first try.  It had had quite a bit of hammering
prior to that.  The threads are fine...it would have come out OK if I had ground it
off, but it isn't my car (anymore) and I don't want it laying around in the back
yard while we decided what to do with it.

Now...I don't want to use the bolt again, because of the twisted head.  So will a
grade 8 bolt from my NAPA store with the right threads and a nice thick washer
replace it OK?

I don't have a propane torch right now....it's on my list.

Thanks a BUNCH, guys...!!   (as usual!)

George