[Shotimes] Running an ATX Car on the Track

Co-op User cop@schramminc.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:37:32 -0400

I've done two convention track days with my 93 atx.  Neither time did I
have trouble with puking fluid.  You will notice the shifting get sloppy
before it would be puked out of the case.  When that happens to me, I
just take it easy for a couple of laps.  Honestly, if your trans is in
good shape, you should be fine.  A combination of a worn trans,
increased horsepower, and high ambient temps caused my trans to get
hotter than I wanted at Putnam.  If you are worried, you can install an
auxiliary cooler in line with the stock piece.  That being said, I have
a B&M stacked plate cooler sitting in the garage without a car to put is
in.  You can have it for $25 plus shipping.

The cooler that you have is stock.  There is also a loop inside the
radiator.  Do not bypass either of these if you add an additional
cooler.

Mike Bruce
93 a/mtx ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Alan Fanning
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 3:07 PM
To: SHOtimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Running an ATX Car on the Track

I'm considering whether to sign up our '95 ATX for the track day at the
convention. One of the issues I recall hearing about at Thunderhill was
ATX
fluid temps getting so high that the fluid was puked out of the tranny.

I"m game to put a tranny cooler on the car, but when I look in front of
the
radiator it looks like Ford put one there for me already. Is that a
standard
ATX piece of hardware and, if so, why the problem with fluid temps on
track
days? Is it just not adequate?