Grammar...was: RE: [Shotimes] RE: Southern Illinois Meet

Paul L Fisher sho@paul-fisher.com
Tue, 23 May 2006 09:38:44 -0500

George, aren't we (you) using the ellipsis a little too much?

Paul L Fisher

Visit my website: http://www.paul-fisher.com
SHOClub Member: http://www.shoclub.com
Amsoil dealer: http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of krazgeo@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:17 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net; SHOTimes
Subject: Grammar...was: RE: [Shotimes] RE: Southern Illinois Meet

From: "Jim & Debbie Leyden" <jndleyden@comcast.net>
> And while we are at it...
>
> It isn't your wrong it's you're wrong and you are!
>
> Is there some reason we must pick on other peoples spelling and grammar?
>
> As long as we get the point across WHO THE F**K CARES?
>
> Jim
> Just because I can use proper English doesn't give me the right to look
down
> on others.

Yes.....while we are at it......

Since you brought it up.....

I wouldn't have gotten into this at all, otherwise... though I have always
been very picky about grammar... just ask my family.

Written and spoken language is (probably THE) one major thing that elevates
us humans from the "lower" animals....although sometimes their displayed
intelligence makes us look pretty stupid.

Lots of folks here inadvertently misuse it...I agree that it is not a
problem.  I do notice lots of misued pronouns/homonyms like their and there,
and others (to, too, and two) as well... to say nothing of the misuse of
punctuation, like you did above.

My major complaint with society nowadays is that we are going backwards
(since about 1975, but more noticeable now)....in the big things, like the
stopping of technological advances, due to some groups not wanting to
participate, ie: terrorists and zealots...and in the small things, like
"educated" folks in "modern" countries forgetting, or perhaps not ever
knowing (due to sitting in the very back of the room in grammar school,
writing love notes, and shooting spitwads when they should have been paying
attention to the teacher) how to properly use the ability to communicate
(language) they have been blessed with.

Those people are now often in charge....of companies; of professional work
groups (my air traffic control facility!); and of governments (!!).
(NuclEar, not nucUlar.)

Twenty years ago, my daughter, then in high school, pointed out to me on a
regular basis, improper grammar usage and spelling errors in public
advertising
displayed to everyone.....I got her interested in that when I mentioned that

Ford Motor Company had once had an ad campaign that plastered signs all over
light poles and buildings on dealership property that said "Your in Ford
Country!"

I mentioned that error to "my" dealer at the time ('60s), and within 30
minutes, ALL the signs on the property were taken down.  Someone, at least,
was interested in correctness, even though he had not seen the error until I
pointed it out to him.

Oh, by the way....if you're going to correct, at least BE correct...

and....concerning the profanity--implied or otherwise.  You can leave that
out.  It isn't necessary, and tends to lower opinions of you by others on
this list.

Rant over.

George