[Shotimes] Brake bleeding --getting the air out

Zach Leahy leahyz at gmail.com
Tue May 29 07:57:40 MDT 2007

Easier method, but you have to make a tool.

Get a 20z or liter soda bottle, a length of clear tubing that just fits over
the bleeder (3ft or so), and a threaded hose barb.  Take the cap of the
bottle and drill a hole in it, then thread the barb into it.  You want it to
be a good tight seal, so work your way up the drill sizes until you can just
barely thread it in.  Put the hose on the barb fitting.  Punch a hole in the
bottom (opposite cap) end of the bottle.

Attach the hose of your bleeder bottle to the bleed screw, zip-tie or
somehow attach the bottle to something above the bleeder with the cap facing
down.  Open the bleeder.  Fill Reservoir.  Pump brakes 15-20 times and check
the hose for any air bubbles.  Seeing none, close the bleeder, remove the
hose, and go to the next wheel.  Start on Driver rear then Pass rear then
Pass front, then driver front.  For a full flush of the brakes I go around
the car about 3 times.  You'll need to keep filling the reservoir on the the
M/C.  If you let it run out, you have to start over.

Works like a champ, costs $3 to build (including the soda) and only requires
1 person.  I've done it this way for years on all sorts of cars.

--
Zach Leahy
Fort Wayne, IN