[Spridgets] Rear wheel bearing help and Questions..

Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 07:52:46 MST 2009

Good morning all, so far the consensus is:

On Mar 14, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Lester wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> so I have started the replacement of the rear bearings and have run
> into several "concerns" to whit:
>
> 1.	The hub nuts are beat to caca but come off just fine with a
> chisel, better to have some new ones yes?

Get new ones or better yet used but in good shape.  Anyone willing to
part with a pair? And torque to 90ft lbs.

> 2.	No and I mean NO oil came out of the housing when I removed the
> axle.  This is bad yes?

Since I had the axle more or less level this may be a bad thing but as
I'm replacing the bearings not a terrible thing, 2.1 US pints to fill.

> 3.	I notice play when spinning the wheel by about 1/8", I turn the
> wheel that far before it "catches" and the wheel on the other side
> starts to spin.  Is this normal?  Should I drop the rear axle and
> torque the pinion nut?

Generally accepted as normal..

> 4.	The new bearings have play in them side to side until I put the
> axle back in, is this normal?

Accepted as normal and the play is totally gone once the half shaft is
in place.

> 5.	The "O" ring on the hub is covered by the paper gasket, this
> doesn't make sense, should the paper be cut back so that the "O"
> ring is in the groove on one side and hitting the metal on the other
> side?

Don't mess with success although having an "O" ring hitting a paper
gasket is asking for a leak IMO.

> 6.	There are several markings cast into the axle, how do I tell if I
> have the "good" ones?

I have BTA 806 and EN 17 which is almost the good stuff.

> Sorry to ask all the questions but all of my work has been on front
> wheel drive cars so this is all new to me.
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Lester

Thanks again and keep responding if I missed something!

Lester