[Spridgets] Where were you when the LBC bug got you?

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 07:21:46 MDT 2011

My father brought a few home to fix up around 1980.  The first one I
drove was my sister's 1972 w/wires.  The first (and only) one I
wrecked was my sister's 1972.  I later repaid her by taking her 1973
after it had been sitting for a long while and getting it driving
condition.  At a 4th of July cookout at my sis's place in the country
I told her I wanted the 73.  (She still had the 72, too, but neither
had run in a long time.)  I told her I would not sell the 73 to anyone
else and if she ever wanted it back all she had to do was ask.  One
day, she asked.  It was a few years later and she just called one day
and said she'd like to have it back.  My wife was a little peeved at
the time.  She had seen me rescue the car, get it going, clean it up,
and drive it often.  She didn't understand, even though she knew, when
I told my sister she could have it back anytime I was not kidding.  I
then bought another 73 from Keith Turk.  My wife refused to drive a
car with no A/C.  She didn't ride in them very often, either.  I found
a good deal on a Miata and shortly thereafter sold the 73.  My sister
still has the 72, 73, and a few other square arch cars.  She lives in
the country and has storage space.  None of them run.  She drove the
73 for a while after she got it back from me and eventually parked it.
 I tried once to get the 72 running but the motor is locked solid.
Soaking with Marvel Mystery Oil and repeated attempts would not budge
it.  Maybe after the Diesel Golf, the 5.0 Miata, and the 10kW military
generator projects are complete I'll see about getting another
Spridget running for my sis.