[Spridgets] Lamenting My 1960 MGA

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Thu Oct 27 21:10:21 MDT 2011

The first I remember driving was a Mark ?? Sprite when I was a freshman
in college.  We had a large family, my father was partial to various
Chrysler
station wagons, often with the big block motor.  Whoo hoo!

But they were huge, sloppy boats that you didn't corner in, you came about.
That's the sort of vehicle I learned to drive in.

So there I was on a lonely backroad in southern Indiana behind the wheel of
this friend's Sprite.  Approaching a turn at a goodly clip I prepared to
come
about, turning in about 100 feet before I needed to do so in a car like
that.
Yet another case of me staring death in the face and having death blink
first.
Well, okay, maybe it wasn't *that* close to being a major incident.

> One of those things, like passing on a Fender No-Caster for $250.0 that I
> regret to this day.  Or selling a 1971 hard tail Strat for cheap. .  having
> no idea what they would be worth today.

Every now and then I drag this out.  Some years ago my father shipped my old
train set out to me in Utah.  It had been boxed up long ago, safely
cushioned by
crumpled newspapers, circa 1973.  One sheet just happened to be the
automotive
classifieds.  Here's a few excerpts:

67 Chevelle, 396, 4 spd. $950

'67 Corvette conv. air, power windows, 427, $2,300

Ferrari, 1959 250 GT, 12 cyl. 2 passenger, excel. cond. $4,950

'53 Jag XK120 show car, $3,395

'64 MGB New red paint, new top, luggage rack, very fast, $1,000

'59 MGA, engine good, body needs work $500

'58 Porsche, runs good, $850

'60 Triumph, 4 spd., looks, runs perfect  $300

'64 TR4 wire wheels, new paint, tires, $750

'64 TR4 Rebuilt, mech. perfect, new tires, no rust $850

'56 Morgan Plus 4, excel. orig. condition, $3,500

mjb.