[Tigers] good 289 for a rebuild?

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Sat Aug 25 18:11:33 MDT 2012

Gene
    I have not done a rebuild of a 260 in decades so I don't know what is
available.   I thought I heard that pistons for the 260 were available
possibly EGGE??

It is very possible that building a 289 is more cost effective, again I
don't know.

Higher HP 260

Feb 1964 Ford changed to the C4OE-A head for the 260.  This head has the
same sizes valves as the std 289 head but the size of the runners are
smaller.   Larger intake valves almost always result in higher HP.    Ford
never rated the 260 with the larger valves or Ford never published the
results; maybe because they were aiming at just the 289 engine in the near
future of Ford.  This was also a time when Ford was reducing inventory by
using the same parts for more applications; exactly what Ford did with the
260 by sharing parts with the 289 and eliminating the 221 engine.

The 164 HP rating is for the early 260 engine.   The vast majority of 260
engine installed in the Tiger have the larger valves and are the best
breathing of all the 260 engines.   You could install 289 heads and intake
on a 260 engine and have an even better breathing 260 engine.

Ron Fraser