[Tigers] Resto question

John Stithem mai65tai at sonic.net
Mon Jun 25 21:28:01 MDT 2012

Tim,
I have an early car (254) with a black vinyl dash that I restored
approximately 20 years ago. In the process I put new vinyl on the dash. In
deciding about replacing or not--it will depend on if you can find the vinyl
to match the original. I went to a number of upholstery shops before I found a
match. I replaced mine because the original vinyl was old and cracked.
I tried a number of different ways to replace it. I ended up taking off the
backing off so the vinyl would stretch and used contact cement. The stretching
made it go down much more smooth especially around the gauges and toggle
switches (with the back still on it tended to bubble especially around the
gauges).

John Stithem