[Tigers] Floor Boards

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 12:40:27 MDT 2014

Tim,

I don't chime in very often but sheet metal is something I have worked with
quiet a bit on several projects. My Tigers floor boards were actually
pretty sound but I did have to repair on other areas. Tonight I can look
closer at the car to get a better plan, but with the car on the rotisserie
I am pretty familiar with its undercarriage.  the short answer, is you
always want MORE sheet metal than you need. Ideally, if he is cutting a car
up, can you get the entire belly pan including the rockers and the Alpines
x-member? cut it above the floor on the vertical face leading up to the
rear bulkhead where the back seat would be...alpine battery box. on the
front end gut as high as you can tolerate in the foot boxes, through the
firewall if possible.  then you can take your time and separate it
yourself. if this is not practical, in general you always want to separate
at a factory seam if you can. parts of the sunbeams are spot welded and
some are lap welded with the welds on the edge of the upper sheet metal to
the base layer.

So, a person would need to cut the metal at the seams. cut the welds
themselves preserving the most amount of your donor sheet metal as possible
all the way to its factory seams.

Think of it as the opposite of what you will cut out of your Tiger. if your
tigers X-member ( if that's the right term?) is good and not rusted out,
then then what I would recommend is leaving it in place, and air chisel/
cut the welds on the floor that tack to it and all the way to the inner
rockers where the floor board laps and tacks to the inner rocker. and so on
all the way around the edges. etc....

conceptually, does that help? if you cant take more than you need, take it
to the edge of the factory seam INCLUDING the layer that  is actually
welded to the surrounding metal. removing it correctly can be a VERY long
and tedious process...but it would ensure that it looks factory when
complete.

I suppose, lastly, if you or your welder is pretty skilled, you can cut the
floor boards just around the area where yours are rusted out and transpose
that to the area of the donor car...and then carefully cut the patch panel
to match what you take out. then ...you CAN ...BUTT weld the sheet metal,
if you are careful with heat and grind the welds down and make it look near
perfect...but it would be tough and you wouldn't want to get in a hurry
with the heat...you could warp the floor board, possibly, although its
corrugated pretty good in the factory stamping to stiffen the metal.

my two cents

Cullen