[Zmagnette] H2 leakng at float bowl junction

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Sun Apr 6 13:43:38 MDT 2014

Steve-
My info is direct from the Master SU parts catalog.
Without going through hundreds of variants, it appears the ZA H2 all
came with version one, the 3-stepped bolt and fibre/brass washers.
Both versions using grommets appear on MGA H4 and other H4; haven't
looked if they are also on other (later than ZA) H2.
It would appear that there should be a slight float level adjustment
between the three arrangements, as the fixings cause the bowls to be at
a different height. I once figured this out, but it has dribbled away!

But, these things get changed...

and assembled with all sorts of miscellaneous bits added or missing or
confused - or all of these.

I've never had any trouble with any of these when assembled correctly.
Biggest issue is likely the lubrication of the bolt threads and
underhead to get the fibre washers working.

It would seem that grommets would help with vibration in the fuel
level/float valves, which can be a serious problem with some engines
under some conditions, probably much more of an issue on highly (or
poorly) tuned units. I've always thought that is why they changed it,
and the grommet/bolt system has less parts for people to drop down the
various holes.

Fast idle in the center hole is a good start, but it is not hard to
figure out if it might be better. Trouble is, you have to care and you
have to work fast, before the engine warms up even a little. On an
engine you live with and drive in winter, it becomes clear if you need
more or less fast idle to keep it happy. The now usual summer faery cars
hardly matter.

I used to change mixture adjustments by ambient temperature, and would
set customer cars for expected average conditions - setting in the 70F
shop in winter is not good, nor is setting on a 50F night when you are
going on a hot day cruise. I always offered customers free readjusts as
the seasons changed too. This is more important than the fast idle
issue, but it is related in that you need fast idle  effective BEFORE
enrichment. You can get by with carbs set cold on the odd hot day IF you
can set the idle speed up with the first movement of the choke knob.
This also helps a lot on the commonly encountered hot running trouble,
which has much to do with the observed fact that most people seem to set
mixture too rich to begin with. And, lots of fast idle before enrichment
is great for getting your windscreen defrosted and jump starting other
folks cars!

note correction: dished washer for the bolt/grommet setup is AUC1837 not
1887.

FRM