Re: Clutch Master Cylinder: To rebuild or replace?

From: W. Ray Gibbons (gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 1995 - 08:56:56 CDT

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Jim Neawedde wrote:

> I have a 67' series V Alpine which had not been driven for 10-15 years

> The question now is to rebuild or replace the clutch master cylinder.
> The slave is new (the old one was so badly pitted that it couldn't be
> rehoned). I've been told that rebuilding is only about 50% successful

Open it up and inspect it--if it can be cleaned up by light to moderate
honing, there's a good chance an inexpensive rubber kit will do the job.
If it has deep pits, you can either have it bored out and sleeved by an
outfit like White Post restoration, for about $50, or go for a new one (I
would pick the new one if the difference is only $50).

For what it's worth, I've heard and experienced (once out of once) bad
things with master cylinder repair kits from Australia.

   Ray Gibbons Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu (802) 656-8910